Here are some common examples people on the autism spectrum may face that lead to toxic, sticking thinking, followed by its replacement thought to help you shift your focus:
1. Stinking Thinking: You’re a failure.
2. Stinking Thinking: You really need to be dependent on someone stronger than yourself. Your happiness depends on others.
---Replacement Thought: You’re the one who ultimately decides what's best for you. Reliance on others is more like a habit and a state of mind that can be corrected with practice.
3. Stinking Thinking: You should be liked and approved of by almost everyone.
---Replacement Thought: Nobody is liked by everyone. That’s naïve.
4. Stinking Thinking: You’re a product of your past. You can't change anything. You’ve always been this way.
---Replacement Thought: Things have happened in the past that influenced your behavior, but you can learn to modify how you think and react. People can - and do - change.
5. Stinking Thinking: You’re stupid and don't deserve good things in life.
---Replacement Thought: What you did may have been stupid, but you can forgive yourself and try again.
6. Stinking Thinking: It's easier to avoid this problem than to face it.
---Replacement Thought: In the long run, it's better to face this problem and accept your role in it. Then there can be a resolution and improved relationships.
7. Stinking Thinking: Things always go wrong for me.
---Replacement Thought: You must accept that things will go wrong sometimes – and that's not a big problem in most cases.
8. Stinking Thinking: This problem shouldn't have happened. You’re to be blamed.
---Replacement Thought: You might very well be at fault, but you’re not to be blamed, because we all make mistakes and can improve based on the lesson learned.
9. Stinking Thinking: To be worthy and have high self-esteem, you have to be competent and victorious in all respects.
---Replacement Thought: You can't expect to be perfect in every way – it's okay to fail, and then learn from those failures.
==> Living with an Aspergers Partner: Help for Struggling Couples
==> Skype Counseling for Struggling Couples Affected by Asperger's and HFA