Self-Help Strategies for Alexithymia—
- Group Psychotherapy: The interactive aspect of group therapy will offer you ways to explore your thoughts and feelings – and experience meaningful exchanges with your NT partner.
- Hypnosis and Relaxation Training: This uses guided imagery and mentalizations to help you enhance emotional understanding.
- Journaling: Expressive writing can be helpful in stretching your ability to detect emotions. You should write every day in a journal with the goal of broadening the range of your observations within - and outside - of yourself. [See below]
- Reading Novels: The language of describing thoughts, feelings and experiences is usually found in all novels. This is a great way to learn expressive language, develop the skill of receptive language, and gain expertise in how to describe a story or personal narrative.
- Skill-Based Psychotherapy Treatments: This therapy aims to teach through skill building (e.g., Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Mindfulness Training, Short Term Interpersonal Therapy). These will teach you how to be more attentive to personal feeling-states and how to identify emotions in other people.
- Expressive Arts: This is a more formal approach with an acting, dance, art, music, or movement therapy class that will help you to recognize and externalize emotions.
|Click to enlarge|
=> Living With Aspergers: Help for Couples
=> Skype Counseling for Struggling Individuals & Couples Affected by Asperger's and HFA