Are you an adult with High-Functioning Autism or Asperger's? Are you in a relationship with someone on the autism spectrum? Are you struggling emotionally, socially, spiritually or otherwise? Then you've come to the right place. We are here to help you in any way we can. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile...
Search This Blog
We asked 100 people with autism spectrum disorder, who never sought formal treatment, the following question: “What is the main reason you avoided seeking any type of treatment for your condition?”
Here are their answers (although not direct quotes) in order of popularity:
- Don’t see any need to change
- No health coverage/could not afford cost
- Possible negative effect on job if boss and coworkers found out
- Did not know where to go for treatment
- Concern that receiving treatment will cause family and friends to have negative opinion
- Able to handle issues without treatment
- No transportation/inconvenient
- No program available having the type of treatment preferred
- Did not feel need for treatment at the time
- Did not have time/too busy
- Fear of being committed to a lengthy process
- Fear of having to take medicine
- Concerned about confidentiality
- Strong belief that treatment would not help
- Not 100% sure of having the disorder
- Want to be in control of own destiny without a “label”
- Don’t want to be told what to do or how to live life
- Apprehensive about what the treatment program entails and not feel able to handle it
- Don’t do well in groups or around a bunch of other people
- Afraid of getting drug tested because use marijuana to self-treat anxiety
- Symptoms are not as bad now as an adult
- Lack of family support
- Tried treatment briefly and found no benefit
- Afraid of being committed to a mental health facility due to frequent suicidal thoughts
- O.K. with how life is going now
Resources for Neurodiverse Couples:==> Cassandra Syndrome Recovery for NT Wives
Resources for ASD-NT Couples
“I am married to a man with Aspergers. I must say this has been the biggest challenge in my entire life. Although I do love my husband dea...
"Can an adult with Aspergers or High Functioning Autism have a meltdown just like a child with the same disorder?" Click here ...
A lot of men with ASD level 1 [“high functioning autism”] have never been diagnosed and are regarded as being eccentric, a little odd ...
You have a love Asperger's, and you don't understand him or her, so it's making you crazy? It doesn't have to be that wa...
Mark Hutten, M.A. [Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology] Are you experiencing relationship difficulties with your partner or ...
"Out of the clear blue, my boyfriend with Aspergers stated he's not in love with me anymore, but doesn't want to break up. We...
Comment: I've been married to a man with aspergers for 35 years and he has sucked the life from me. There is no cure for this co...
Men with Aspergers have many traits that can be attractive to a prospective partner. Click here for the full article... ==> Liv...
People with ASD [High Functioning Autism] often face challenges related to their ability to interpret certain social cues and skills. ...
As most of you may know, Cassandra Syndrome is basically a lack of adequate psychological nurturance from your significant other [in this c...