Blog for Individuals and Neurodiverse Couples Affected by ASD
Search This Blog
"My husband was recently diagnosed with ASD. Now what?"
• Loss of hopes and plans for the future
• Loss of the "perfect marriage" that was anticipated prior to meeting her autistic spouse
• Long-standing lack of emotional reciprocity from the autistic spouse
• Long-standing lack of empathy
• Over her autistic husband's suffering
• Less focus on self
• Unable to help her autistic spouse in the social and emotional sense
Feelings of Loneliness:
• No one else understands what the NT wife is going through
• Avoids having to explain the disorder and answer questions
• Can sense that others are uncomfortable around her husband at times
• Not wanting to interact with others as a couple
• Resentment toward others with "typical husbands"
• The children's future
• The children's emotional safety
• Keeping a stable relationship with her spouse
• Her own mental health
• Next crisis
• Advocating for accommodations
• Attempting to do all the relationship work
• Balancing career and family
• Dealing with other's reactions and opinions
• Lack of exercise
• Lack of prior medical or advocacy experiences
• Learning details of spouse's disorder and about related treatment
• Making choices regarding treatment
• Managing time
• Poor eating habits
• Sleep deprivation
• Detachment in other areas of life due to focus on the autistic spouse's needs
• Feelings of despair and hopelessness
Resources for Neurodiverse Couples:
==> Online Group Therapy for Men with ASD
==> Online Group Therapy for NT Wives
==> Living with ASD: eBook and Audio Instruction for Neurodiverse Couples
==> One-on-One Counseling for Struggling Individuals & Couples Affected by ASD
==> Online Group Therapy for Couples Affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder
==> Cassandra Syndrome Recovery for NT Wives
==> ASD Men's MasterClass: Social-Skills Training and Emotional-Literacy Development
==> Pressed for time? Watch these "less-than-one-minute" videos for on the go.
Resources for ASD-NT Couples
==> One-on-One Counseling for Struggling Individuals & Couples Affected by Asperger's and High-Functioning Autism
==> Online Group Therapy for Couples and Individuals Affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder
==> Living With Aspergers: Help for Couples [eBook and Audio]
==> Videos to help you understand your partner on the autism spectrum...
“I am married to a man with Aspergers. I must say this has been the biggest challenge in my entire life. Although I do love my husband dea...
"Can an adult with Aspergers or High Functioning Autism have a meltdown just like a child with the same disorder?" Click here ...
A lot of men with ASD level 1 [“high functioning autism”] have never been diagnosed and are regarded as being eccentric, a little odd ...
You have a love Asperger's, and you don't understand him or her, so it's making you crazy? It doesn't have to be that wa...
Mark Hutten, M.A. - Counseling Psychologist Are you experiencing relationship difficulties with your partner or spouse who is on...
Men with Aspergers have many traits that can be attractive to a prospective partner. Click here for the full article... ==> Liv...
People with ASD [High Functioning Autism] often face challenges related to their ability to interpret certain social cues and skills. ...
Many, if not most, females with Aspergers and High-Functioning Autism “slip through the net” (i.e., go undiagnosed) because they camoufl...
Depression drains your energy, hope, and drive, making it difficult to do what you need to feel better. But while overcoming bouts of de...
"Out of the clear blue, my boyfriend with Aspergers stated he's not in love with me anymore, but doesn't want to break up. We...